Every Home Needs Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Did you know that the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends that every home have at least one carbon monoxide detector. Having these throughout your home is extremely important as carbon monoxide poisoning can in extreme cases lead to death. But most of the time you will be alerted to the problem by the symptoms, which include headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and disorientation. Let’s check out what CO2 is and how it relates to your HVAC system.

Every home needs a carbon monoxide Detectors on every floor of your home and beside any appliance that heats your home using gases or natural substances such as wood or coal. Of course, electric furnaces do not produce CO2

What Is Carbon Monoxide

CO2 was first identified in the 18 century by the chemist Joseph Priestley. The poisonious gas was known to exist far before this time as it is formed by the incomplete combustion of various natural resources such as wood and coal. Carbon based gases such as kerosene, gasoline, natural gas, and propane also produce carbon monoxide when they are burned without sufficient oxygen.

Is Your Heat Source Producing Carbon Monoxide?

If you are heating your home with a wood burning fireplace, propane or natural gas furnace, then you need to be aware of the potential for increased CO2 in the air. If your furnace is not properly maintained and cracks appear in your heat exchanger, then this gas can be released into your home. You can protect yourself by placing carbon monoxide detectors around your home.

Heat Exchanger Dangers

A heat exchanger is a component in a furnace that transfers heat from the combustion chamber to the airstream. The heat exchanger is typically made of a metal and consists of series of tubes or coils that are heated by the combustion process. The air that is present in the home then flows through the heat exchanger, absorbing the heat from the tubes or coils. This process warms the air, which is then circulated throughout the home.

The heat exchanger is an important safety feature in a furnace. It prevents the combustion gases like carbon monoxide from mixing with the air that is circulated throughout the home. This is because the heat exchanger is designed to keep the combustion gases separate from the airstream. If the heat exchanger is damaged or cracked, it can allow the combustion gases to mix with the air, which can be dangerous.

Bellingham Furnace Repair

Regular furnace maintenance will help spot potential leaks in your system and remidy the issue immediately. Weather in Bellingham WA dictates that a furnace is going the majority of the year and this causes wear on the parts of the furnace. Bellingham HVAC provides furnace repair specialists that will keep your home toasty and safe. If you have not had your HVAC system inspected recently you can get this done and maybe save in more costly furnace repairs later on.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top
CHAT